Saturday, December 28, 2013

Rooting Android was this Years Holiday Achivement

Tired of Android 2.3.6 , It was time for rooting my device and target was to get Android 4.4 KitKat. With very few ROMs available on the market for 4.4 it was really a good experience.

So here is what I did ; It may look short and easy but it took a lot of time to understand the basics.

Rooting : I was lucky with SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse and with one click my device was rooted.
I work for data center and mostly work with non-root users (oracle) , it is always a pride to have root access. The same with Android once you root you are the real owner of your device.

Backup : If you like to restore 2.3.6 in any case then you should backup. I used ROM Manager and Titanium Backup

ROM : There are a lot of ROMs available in Android 4 but for KitKat I decided to go with BeanStalk-4.4 and downloaded its corresponding Google Apps

So here are the steps

- Backup using ROM Manager
- Reboot into Recovery using ROM Manager
- In Recovery Manager selected install from SD Card and selected BeanStalk-4.4
- BeanStalk installation failed.
- Reason for that is a corrupt recovery so to support it I had to upgrade the kernel of 2.3.6
- Installed SGS kernel installed from play store
- Downloaded modified kernel kernel-2011-09-26.17-48.zip (there are many available you can choose)
- In Recovery Manager selected install from SD Card and selected BeanStalk-4.4
- BeanStalk-4.4 got installed
- In Recovery Manager selected install from SD Card and selected Google Apps gapps-kk-20131119.zip
- In Recovery Manager selected option to reboot the device
- BINGO I now have Android 4.4.2






Popular Posts